Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Toe the line with day to day conflict


Have you had some conflict latley? From my prospective, we all face issues that at times seem to bring us down. The entire purpose of this post today is to help us understand how to "toe the line" with these conflicts.
In high school I wrestled.
At the beginning of each match you stand across from your opponent to "toe the line." Then, the referee blows the whistle and the match begins. As each person devises a plan to take down their opponent, complications often arise. The loud muffled roar from the crowd. The fatigue that sets in after a while. The whole point of a take down is to eventually win the match, thus defeating your opponent. Remember it all starts when you "toe the line." That is the first step when overcoming conflicts in your life. Something I do to help deal with things i'm struggling with is write them down. I then devise how i'm going to attack each one. For instance, recently in my life I have moved a lot. Not of my own choosing, but simply following instructions from my leaders. I figured out all of the things that bugged me as I moved over and over. I then turned those things into things I love about moving and focused on those. You see its not about pushing the delete button on those things that are hard or bother us. Its simply figuring out how to learn to love them. I believe it all starts when you "toe the line" As we make mental lists in our heads of things that bother us or conflicts we face, it only makes it worse. Attitude is everything.







The photo to the left is a friend who I wrestled with since 7th grade. He has one of the biggest hearts in the world.


He always pushed me to do better and was there when times got tough. He is now currently serving a mission in Cambodia. He knew what it meant to "toe the line" and face adversity.



<><><>FACING ADVERSITY<><><>

The adversary wants us to feel like were never good enough. Our day to day opponent is the adversary.


If you ever feel like this guy, im sorry. It's not fun to be depressed, when you feel like the whole world is crashing down on you.


Its all up to you!



With the right additude you can feel like this guy! Or this guy!

So remember when hit with adversity or conflict just "toe the line" and you'll be fine.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this Elder Cook! It is so true that if we focus on the positive we can have so much happiness. Sometimes we might not feel like we are good enough but our Heavenly Father knows our true potential and he is there for comfort and strength. Like you said before, it is about our attitude. We can CHOOSE to be sad or we can CHOOSE to be happy. We all have conflict and hard times in our lives, but through the help of the Savior we can get through anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Danny for this wonderful post on your blog. I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss seeing you out on the wrestling mat. Often I put on your Highlight Wrestling Video and it takes me back to those exciting matches and demonstrates what a real champion you are both on and off the mat. The medals and trophies and accolades are all very complimentary but what you learned and became by those years of hard work, dedication, leadership and giving your best efforts have refined and strengthened you as you now realize you can do "very hard things." And as we do "hard things" we can choose the attitude that will help us or hinder us. Certainly "Our attitude will determine our altitude." As the Prophet Joseph Smith said, "Through adversity we become polished shafts in the quiver of the Almighty." May you always know that I will always stand with you as we each become "polished shafts" in His quiver.


    '

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Dan, truly inspiring words. It is so completely true that if we put one foot in front of the other day after day, trial after trial, we will succeed. Its the secret to this life, and attaining eternal glory in the life to come. If we hold to the belief that failure will never overtake us if our determination to succeed is strong enough, then we will become as the Savior has commanded us.

    ReplyDelete