Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Heavens Open.

Today has been an excellent one. I have pondered the thought of the first vision. The first vision is when the boy Joseph Smith knelt down and uttered a prayer to God. To which he later wrote,
" I saw a pillar of light, exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me; When the light rested upon me I saw two personages whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other-- This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"

I have felt such an appreciation for this event! It was the mark of a new generation of saints. Living within minuets of the location this event took place, I have had the chance to go there often. I add my personal witness of the first vision. I know it to be true. As I have shared this message with countless people in New York I have seen the light and happiness that comes into their lives. As well, I receive more light and happiness! Without a doubt the heavens seem to open as I "seek out the righteous, where'er they may be!"


As God has done throughout history, he once again reached out to his children and called a prophet to guide and direct his people through divine revelation. The first vision was just the first of many miracles to follow and bless us, the children of our Heavenly Father. After all is said and done, in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I know this message can bring us peace, at last.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Elder Cook for sharing your personal experiences of this most sacred event. POWERFUL! I think the story of Joseph Smith and how he was searching for an answer and how God answered his prayer is really the story of all of us. Not that we all have seen a vision or became a prophet. But all of us have questions and need direction. I testify that the Lord WILL answer our prayers so we can have direction in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Cook- I can't imagine what it would be like to serve in a place where the truth of the gospel was restored- to feel the spirit that is present there and ponder of the great miracle that came upon a 14-year-old boy there... that must be so amazing. I am grateful for the restoration of the gospel so that we can have its light and truth and be guided in this world of darkness!

    ReplyDelete